Subject: Re: bug#18154: 24.4.50; eval-buffer ignores debug-on-error sometimes

From: Helmut Eller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 08:44:32 +0200

On Wed, Aug 06 2014, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> only prints this message: 
>
>>   Eager macro-expansion failure: (wrong-number-of-arguments (2 . 2) 0)
>
>> This is not what I expect; Emacs should enter the debugger instead.
>
> The eager-macroexpansion is not indispensable (so far), so any errors
> that happen during it are demoted to mere warnings (like the line you
> quote above).

I see, but the message "Eager macro-expansion failure" doesn't sound
like a warning to me.  Maybe use the word "warning" somewhere to avoid
confusion.

> Hence debug-on-error doesn't cause you to get
> a backtrace.  You'd need to use debug-on-signal for that.

The message contains no line number or any other hint where the source
of the problem is; debug-on-error is no help either.  Maybe it would be
better to get rid of the message entirely.

Helmut