Subject: segfault on C-e/End in Ack-and-a-half

From: Andrew Pennebaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 15:42:16 -0500

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgment at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

I enjoy using the ack-and-a-half plugin to search for text in my
projects. Sometimes, when I try to navigate to the end of one of the
results lines, Emacs segfaults.

This happens whether I press the C-e hotkey, or the End key on my
keyboard.

I've only seen this segfault occur in Ack-and-a-half result buffers;
C-e/End work find elsewhere in my Emacs workflow.

For reference, I use the following Emacs configuration:

https://github.com/mcandre/dotfiles/blob/master/.emacs

I've created an issue at the ack-and-a-half plugin website, in case anyone
would like to contact the plugin maintainer for help troubleshooting this
problem.

https://github.com/jhelwig/ack-and-a-half/issues/39

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7)
 of 2014-03-07 on lamiak, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:    Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro'
 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Markdown

Minor modes in effect:
  global-nlinum-mode: t
  nlinum-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x b u g <tab> C-g M-x r e p o <tab> r <tab> <ret
urn>

Recent messages:
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50erlang-mode.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50latex-cjk-common.el (source)...
Loading cjk-enc...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50latex-cjk-common.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50latex-cjk-thai.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50libperl-critic-perl.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Quit
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/home/apenneb/.emacs.d/.cask/24.3.1/elpa/erlang-20140605.1648/erlang-eunit
hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/erlang/erlang-eunit
/home/apenneb/.emacs.d/.cask/24.3.1/elpa/erlang-20140605.1648/erlang-start
hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/erlang/erlang-start
/home/apenneb/.emacs.d/.cask/24.3.1/elpa/erlang-20140605.1648/erlang_appwiz
hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/erlang/erlang_appwiz
/home/apenneb/.emacs.d/.cask/24.3.1/elpa/erlang-20140605.1648/erlang-flymake
hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/erlang/erlang-flymake
/home/apenneb/.emacs.d/.cask/24.3.1/elpa/erlang-20140605.1648/erlang hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/erlang/erlang
/home/apenneb/.emacs.d/.cask/24.3.1/elpa/erlang-20140605.1648/erlang-skels-old
hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/erlang/erlang-skels-old
/home/apenneb/.emacs.d/.cask/24.3.1/elpa/erlang-20140605.1648/erlang-skels
hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/erlang/erlang-skels
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/language/thai-word
/home/apenneb/.emacs.d/.cask/24.3.1/elpa/ess-20140522.945/.dir-locals hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode mmm-erb sgml-mode markdown-mode noutline
outline rainbow-mode ansi-color color derived mmm-mode mmm-univ
mmm-class mmm-region mmm-auto mmm-vars mmm-utils mmm-compat json-mode
json-reformat json-snatcher rx js byte-opt imenu thingatpt cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs yaml-mode monokai-theme column-enforce-mode cl nlinum linum
use-package diminish bytecomp byte-compile cconv bind-key easy-mmode
ack-and-a-half-autoloads apache-mode-autoloads brainfuck-mode-autoloads
generic langdoc view clojure-mode-autoloads coffee-mode-autoloads
column-enforce-mode-autoloads column-marker-autoloads d-mode-autoloads
dart-mode-autoloads dired+-autoloads dired-details-autoloads
dired-single-autoloads erlang-autoloads evil-nerd-commenter-autoloads
fasm-mode-autoloads feature-mode-autoloads findr-autoloads
fiplr-autoloads fold-dwim-autoloads fsharp-mode-autoloads
auto-complete-autoloads gitignore-mode-autoloads go-mode-autoloads
grizzl-autoloads groovy-mode-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads edmacro
kmacro hideshowvis-autoloads io-mode-autoloads j-mode-autoloads
json-mode-autoloads json-reformat-autoloads json-snatcher-autoloads
langdoc-autoloads less-css-mode-autoloads lua-mode-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads matlab-mode-autoloads minimap-autoloads
mmm-mode-autoloads monokai-theme-autoloads mustache-mode-autoloads
newlisp-mode-autoloads nlinum-autoloads ntcmd-autoloads oz-autoloads
php-mode-autoloads popup-autoloads pos-tip-autoloads
puppet-mode-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads racket-mode-autoloads
rainbow-mode-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads sass-mode-autoloads
haml-mode-autoloads scala-mode2-autoloads sql-indent-autoloads
sqlup-mode-autoloads stylus-mode-autoloads sws-mode-autoloads
tabbar-ruler-autoloads info easymenu tabbar-autoloads tbemail-autoloads
thrift-autoloads tuareg-autoloads caml-autoloads undo-tree-autoloads
use-package-autoloads diminish-autoloads bind-key-autoloads
vimrc-mode-autoloads window-jump-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads cask
cl-macs gv cask-bootstrap package-build json lisp-mnt shut-up epl git
commander f dash s commander-autoloads epl-autoloads git-autoloads
f-autoloads dash-autoloads package-build-autoloads s-autoloads
shut-up-autoloads finder-inf package advice help-fns cl-lib
advice-preload delsel paren erlang-start time-date tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker
www.yellosoft.us