Subject: bug#18151: 24.3.92; term: slow ansi colors rendering

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 12:39:36 -0300

Some applications render quite slowly in emacs terminal emulator. One
example is alsamixer, which has a very simple ui. Another example is
mc. The editor of the beast, instead, works like a charm, at least in
its legacy incarnation. I think the issue is with the heavy use of ansi
colors by some applications.

I've read other similar bug reports saying that a number of errors
appear in the *Messages* buffer regarding missing colors or something
like that. Well, this is not the problem anymore. Everything works fine,
no errors are shown, it's just that the rendering is slow.

------------------------------

In GNU Emacs 24.3.92.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2) of
 2014-07-25 on localhost Windowing system distributor `The X.Org
 Foundation', version 11.0.11501000 Configured using: `configure
 --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=i686 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  winner-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  auto-complete-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<return> N n L <down> <up> u <down> <up> u <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> u u <menu-bar> 
<Groups> <Sort> <Default sort> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <return> C-x b <right> <return> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> M-x r e p o r t - e <tab> <ret
urn>

Recent messages:
nnimap read 1485k from imap.gmail.com (initial sync of 16 groups; please wait)
nnimap read 1852k from imap.gmail.com (initial sync of 16 groups; please wait)
nnimap read 2240k from imap.gmail.com (initial sync of 16 groups; please wait)
Checking new news...done
You can run the command `gnus' with <f5>
Checking new news...done
line-move-visual: Beginning of buffer [8 times]
nnimap read 0k from imap.gmail.com
No more unseen articles
No more unread articles

Load-path shadows:
/home/loscar/.emacs.d/elpa/popup-20140207.1702/popup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auto-complete/popup
/home/loscar/.emacs.d/elpa/auto-complete-20140726.303/auto-complete hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auto-complete/auto-complete
/home/loscar/.emacs.d/elpa/auto-complete-20140726.303/auto-complete-config hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auto-complete/auto-complete-config
~/.emacs.d/lisp/python hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3.92/lisp/progmodes/python

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail qp gnus-ml nndraft nnmh
nnfolder utf-7 pp rfc2104 gnutls nnimap utf7 netrc gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win cus-edit cus-start cus-load
misearch multi-isearch mule-util url-queue timezone parse-time shr-color
color network-stream starttls url-http tls mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw url-cache url-auth eww mm-url gnus gnus-ems
nnheader mail-utils wid-edit url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
url-vars mailcap shr jka-compr two-column term disp-table ehelp vc-git
help-mode flymake wombat-theme winner windmove ac-nrepl
cider-interaction apropos arc-mode archive-mode cider-doc org-table org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs cider-test cider-stacktrace cider-client nrepl-client
cider-util ewoc etags dash clojure-mode imenu inf-lisp tramp
tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs
cl-macs trampver cl gv ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt
browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode
ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a shell pcomplete
ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp3-d
ess-julia ess-r-d compile ess-tracebug format-spec ess-roxy advice
hideshow ess-help ess-developer ess-r-args eldoc help-fns ess-s-l ess
ess-inf comint ansi-color ring ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-utils
ess-custom executable ess-compat ess-site ido auto-complete-config
auto-complete edmacro kmacro popup cl-loaddefs cl-lib info easymenu
package time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 430225 112766)
 (symbols 24 45666 8)
 (miscs 20 499 794)
 (strings 16 108809 15742)
 (string-bytes 1 3255353)
 (vectors 8 45254)
 (vector-slots 4 1504548 15070)
 (floats 8 540 602)
 (intervals 28 4870 1335)
 (buffers 512 32)
 (heap 1024 48863 2126))