Subject: 24.3.92; gnutls.c spurious fatal error messages when sending mail

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 19:29:22 -0300

This is my smtp configuration for gmail:

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-smtp-user "[email-masked]"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 465
      smtpmail-stream-type 'ssl)

This works, indeed this email was sent from inside emacs, but I get some
annoying messages in the minibuffer while a mail is being sent. Here are
the contents of *Messages* after a mail was sent:

gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.
Sending...done

Obviously nothing fatal has happened despite this gloomy warning.

Some googling shows that this was reported in other contexts also.

----------

In GNU Emacs 24.3.92.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2)
 of 2014-07-22 on carlos
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11502000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=i686 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'