Subject: Re: bug#18141: 24.4.50; saving .gz file breaks file coding

From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 16:23:39 +0200

On 2014-08-07 08:20:06 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > 1 GB costs 0.10 EUR per month, and I don't want to waste several
> > dozens of GB of backups (easily produced without clean-up). Once
> > becoming useless, backup files have no value.
> 
> Note that in this specific case, the problem only happens if you ask
> Emacs to keep backups.

It also depends on the file system. This is rather strange.

> I have set make-backup-files to nil many years ago and never looked
> back (all the files where it might matter are under some kind of VCS
> anyway).

I also wonder whether I should set make-backup-files to nil, for the
same reason. I very rarely look in my backup directory.

> >> After r111638, the prompt is issued before backing up the file.
> > And that's a much more logical sequence.
> 
> Indeed.  The problem is that this is done by changing the moment at
> which the coding-system is chosen (and makes it "too early") instead of
> changing the moment at which the backup is made (which is the right
> thing to do, but requires more significant changes in the code).

OK.

-- 
Vincent Lefèvre <[email-masked]> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <https://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / AriC project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)