Subject: bug#18141: 24.4.50; saving .gz file breaks file coding

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 20:03:31 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>    situation, and IMO it's perfectly OK for Emacs to leave just the
>    backup file if it was brutally killed during that time window.

I disagre with it being "perfectly ok"; I think it is a real, albeit
minor problem.

>    So I guess X-Symbol is likely also broken now,

(Isn't X-Symbol many-years-defunct anyway? No release in a decade AFAICS.)

> So I think simply reverting the r111638 changes and leaving bug#13522
> as wontfix is an easier way out.

Agreed with the first part, but not with the second part.

> An even better fix would be to make the backing up and saving a
> transaction-like process.  That would solve the problem entirely.  But
> I'm not sure this is feasible/practical, with parts of the puzzle
> implemented in C and parts in Lisp.  If it is possible, it will
> probably be anything but simple, and so likely inappropriate for the
> emacs-24 branch.

Sounds right, ie reopen 13522 as minor/wishlist.