Subject: bug#18133: Suppressing asynchronous command output

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 20:26:40 +0000

On 22 December 2016 at 20:15, martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > ​I meant the second, just adding the (buffer-name-string .
> > display-buffer-no-window) pair to the value menu.
>
> Which value menu?  ‘display-buffer-alist’ is a user option - its
> original value must be nil, no code is allowed to add anything to it.
>

​That's what I meant, so I guess it will have to be something else.​

If an application urgently wants to override the user, it can use
> ‘display-buffer-overriding-action’.
>

​I'm not trying to override the user here, I'm just trying to avoid adding
another configuration option.​

But even if it were a configuration option, if code can't add anything to
display-buffer-alist, then how should this setting be implemented? (As you
can see, the current implementation relies on changing
display-buffer-alist.) I'm a bit confused, how is display-buffer-alist
different from, say, auto-mode-alist (which can be altered by the user, but
also is added to by code.)

Or do you just want to add ‘display-buffer-no-window’ to
> ‘display-buffer--action-function-custom-type’?
>

It would be nice if the user only had to change one thing to enable hiding
the async output buffer until there is output. If we only added the
function to display-buffer--action-function-custom-type, the user still has
to manually add the right buffer name pattern and the action to
display-buffer-alist.

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org