Subject: Re: bug#18131: 24.4.50; View-search-... skips all matches between (point) and edge of window

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 23:26:13 +1100

Dima Kogan <[email-masked]> writes:

> The emacs view-mode has navigation with 'n' and 'p' keys to navigate by
> searching (like isearch, but with fewer keystrokes and very similar to
> less and vi).
>
> I just discovered that unlike less and vi, this view-mode navigation
> doesn't hit all the matches, but rather skips the ones between (point)
> and the edge of the window. This ensures that any matches that are
> visible by the user (but not highlighted by view-mode) are skipped.
>
> This clearly was a design choice, rather than a bug. However, the
> documentation doesn't mention this, and I think it is counterintuitive.
> Attaching a very simple patch to fix.

[...]

> -	(move-to-window-line (if (< times 0) 0 -1)))

If this was a design choice, then we should perhaps ask the person who
designed it what it's all about...  which isn't easy in this instance,
since this is very old code.

Does anybody have an opinion here?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no