Subject: Re: rmail: allow for imaps proto

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 17:27:44 -0300

I've been doing some debugging. The problem is in
rmail-insert-inbox-text, which calls expand-file-name. I'm not sure
whether you intend to support anything more than mbox, pop and imap or
not, but then this documentation:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Movemail.html#Movemail

is very misleading in at least two ways:

* It doesn't mention pops and imaps at all.

* It suggests that a larger number of protocols could be used with
mailutils movemail.

So there's a bug anyway:

* Either the documentation should clearly state that only "pop:...",
"imap:..." and "/path/...." specifications are supported, despite the
more powerful capabilities of mailutils movemail

* Or the other protocols supported by mailutils movemail should be
supported by rmail also. In this case, something has to be done before
the filename logic in rmail-insert-inbox-text, which will be broken in
many ways because of the protocol prefix.

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Carlos Pita <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The problem seems more general, indeed. Non recognized protocols are
> taken to be filenames and expanded, as in:
>
> maildir:/home/loscar/Mail/INBOX
> ->
> /home/loscar/maildir:/home/loscar/Mail/INBOX
>
> mailutils movemail is pretty smart, but rmail is dumbing it down. I
> think a more transparent delegation to the mailutils workhorse is in
> order.
>
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Carlos Pita <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> Currently mailutils movemail works with gmail imap using this:
>>
>> movemail 'imaps://carlosjosepita%40gmail.com:[email-masked]/INBOX'
>> RMAIL
>>
>> but not this:
>>
>> movemail --tls
>> 'imap://carlosjosepita%40gmail.com:[email-masked]:993/INBOX' RMAIL
>>
>> I wouldn't be difficult to support imaps in rmail, as it's just forwarding
>> the request to movemail, which already supports it. This way it would be
>> possible to use gmail imap in rmail.
>>