Subject: bug#18081: closed (Re: bug#18081: openpty fails on standalone guix)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 00:06:03 +0000

Your bug report

#18081: openpty fails on standalone guix

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
18081: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18081
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#18081: openpty fails on standalone guix
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 02:05:23 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This should be fixed with 7f239fd.  Let me know if it’s not!

Ludo’.

Subject: openpty fails on standalone guix
From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 12:54:27 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

openpty fails for unprivileged users on standalone guix.  For example,
running 'script' or 'screen' fails, and running M-x shell within emacs
results in a bash without job control, because emacs uses pipes to
communicate with the subprocess instead of pseudo-ttys, apparently
because it was unable to use openpty.

I've found that I can fix the problem by unmounting /dev/pts and then
remounting with the same options that LFS uses for its /etc/fstab:
"gid=1004,mode=620".  That gid corresponds to the 'tty' group.

      Mark