Subject: bug#18079: Remove redundant spaces in `mode-line-buffer-identification' for `calc-mode'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2019 22:03:00 +0200

Oleh <[email-masked]> writes:

> For some reason there are 14 extra spaces added to
> `mode-line-buffer-identification' for `calc-mode'.
> Which makes it look weird compared to other buffers, such as *scratch*.
> This is especially apparent with a custom mode-line, e.g. powerline package.
> I attach a patch.

[...]

> -	    (format "Calc%s%s: %d %s %-14s"
> +	    (format "Calc%s%s: %d %s %s"

That is indeed pretty odd.  Perhaps they wanted to have it equally wide
no matter what settings that are enabled?

Anyway, I think it's a positive change to make this more regular, so
I've applied your patch to Emacs 27.

If there's calc users that somehow found that space useful, then
reverting the commit would be fine, too.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no