Subject: Re: bug#18072: 24.3; cc-mode indentation is broken

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 20:43:07 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 22:13:00 +0100, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> Hi Alan,

> Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

> > Is this C++ Mode, by any chance?

> I'm not sure which one to use to reproduce it.  I'm hoping Juhani will
> be able to tell us.

> > This looks like having the same cause as bug #37910 "CC Mode 5.33.2
> > (C++//l); CC-mode inconsistently indents everything as topmost-intro
> > after a while".

> > I'm pretty sure it's a defect in a particular CC Mode cache (the "state
> > cache"), which tracks parentheses, braces, and brackets containing and
> > near point.  Somehow, it's missing the critical {, believing that
> > foo();, etc., are at top level.  A C-c C-s on that line would likely
> > show "topmost-intro".

> Do you think that these two bugs should be merged?

I don't think the evidence is strong enough to do this, yet.  Not quite.

In the course of investigating #37910, I discovered a flaw whose effect
would be consistent with what we're seeing in #37910 and the current
bug.  I intend to commit a fix to this flaw, soon.  However, there's
more to #37910 than just that flaw, so #37910 is where I'm spending my
time at the moment.

> Best regards,
> Stefan Kangas

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).