Subject: Re: bug#1806: dired-pop-to-buffer in wrong place

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 11:51:11 +0300

>> +(make-obsolete-variable 'dired-shrink-to-fit
>> +			"use the Customization interface to add a new rule
>> +to `display-buffer-alist' where condition regexp is \"Marked Files\",
>> +action argument symbol is `window-height' and its value is nil." "24.3")
>
> I think it's OK.  Though we should decide generally whether we (1) want
> an exact match for such buffers (that is, including space and asterisks)

In the Customization UI it would be simple to type a regexp without
special characters.  OTOH, the user will be able to copy the exact match
from the docstring, so we could add the exact match to docstrings:

(make-obsolete-variable 'dired-shrink-to-fit
			"use the Customization interface to add a new rule
to `display-buffer-alist' where condition regexp is \"^ \\*Marked Files\\*$\",
action argument symbol is `window-height' and its value is nil." "24.3")

> and (2) whether obsoletion strings can be that long (I have not found
> any when I searched recently).

Just try to evaluate this `make-obsolete-variable' and see its result
in `C-h v dired-shrink-to-fit RET'.

> We should add the detailed code somewhere, probably to the Elisp manual.
> As an example, I didn't know that using an ACTION argument where the
> FUNCTION component is nil would work in the first place.

I learned about this feature from Stefan's comment in
http://debbugs.gnu.org/3419#133

> There are further issues.

Let's discuss them on emacs-devel.