Subject: bug#1806: closed (Re: dired-pop-to-buffer in wrong place)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 13:43:03 +0000

Your bug report

#1806: dired-pop-to-buffer in wrong place

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
1806: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1806
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: dired-pop-to-buffer in wrong place
From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
To: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 16:40:17 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Installed.

Thanks, I'm happily marking bug#1806 as done :-)

> Do we support multiline strings in `make-obsolete'?

I believe both `make-obsolete' (that could be used for
`dired-pop-to-buffer') and `make-obsolete-variable' (for
`dired-shrink-to-fit') support multiline strings.

Subject: dired-pop-to-buffer in wrong place
From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:29:55 +0200

After 2008-12-11 change to window.el and dired.el that fixed the bug #1488,
I have difficulties using dired.

Before this change, running a dired operation on many files displayed
a pop-up window *below* the dired buffer and immediately *above* the
minibuffer.  This is the most convenient place to display a list of
file names, because it is near the minibuffer where the user types more
input for the command (a shell command or a directory to copy files to).

But now this list of files is displayed somewhere else - on the top of the
side window.  Thus now this list is as far for minibuffer as possible.
This is because `dired-pop-to-buffer' doesn't call `split-window' anymore
that used to split windows vertically even on a wide-screen display.

This is the same problem as I reported in
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/93011/focus=94236
i.e. we need a special option to split windows vertically
where necessary.

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/