Subject: Re: bug#1806: dired-pop-to-buffer in wrong place

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:48:07 +0200

>> Note that I have added an option `temp-buffer-resize-regexps' which can
 >> be used to turn off resizing in selected buffers.
 >
 > What is the rationale for this change?  I can't find any discussion
 > about this on emacs-devel or the bug list, but maybe I missed it.

The problem has been discussed in the thread for bug#1806 and in a
thread you started about window shrinking via VC-diff.  There it has
been asked for a way to switch off auto-resizing.  My rationale is to do
all `fit-window-to-buffer' stuff under `temp-buffer-resize-mode' and
allow tweaking this in a uniform manner for individual buffers.

 > I'm not enthusiastic about the existence of temp-buffer-resize-mode in
 > the first place.  It's a bad concept, since it creates a difference
 > between "temporary buffers" and other kinds of buffers displayed via
 > display-buffer.

Then we probably should change that concept.  My intention was to fit
windows even when `display-buffer' is not called.  For example, after
certain changes of the buffer contents, without asking for a redisplay
via `display-buffer'.

 > But there are no guidelines for when such a difference
 > should exist.  So adding more knobs onto temp-buffer-resize-mode is a
 > step in the wrong direction, IMO.

I have no opinion on this and can do whatever people want.  But bug#1806
should be eventually closed in some way.

martin