Subject: Re: bug#1806: dired-pop-to-buffer in wrong place

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:30:31 -0400

>> I guess that depends on why switch-to-buffer-other-window uses
>> pop-to-buffer.
> Because it was convenient that way - before 1985 just as now.

Than the right fix might be to change switch-to-buffer-other-window to
not use pop-to-buffer or to use it in an even more awkward way (binding
special-display-buffer-names to nil arounf the call and things like
that).

> Indeed.  But my point remains that I'm not sure whether switching from
> `switch-to-buffer' or `switch-to-buffer-other-window' to `pop-to-buffer'
> and not using the selected window in the former (or using the selected
> window in the latter) case might cause indignations of users.

I'm not sure I understand.  We're talking about changing display-buffer
and pop-to-buffer, not switch-to-buffer (and hopefully not
switch-to-buffer-other-window, tho it may end up being affected
somewhat).

> Also so because the `switch-to...' functions are frequently used by
> Elisp code.

It's a concern but not a very serious one: I already consider such uses
as problems to be fixed.

        Stefan