Subject: Re: bug#1806: dired-pop-to-buffer in wrong place

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 17:16:05 +0200

>> Currently, OTHER-WINDOW non-nil is an application-provided setting
 >
 > Right, and it will stay this way.
 >
 >> and takes precedence over user customizations.
 >
 > We would want to change that, then.
 >
 > Note that the only customization it can override is the `same-window'
 > one IIUC, which is pretty new, so it currently only overrides user
 > customizations in very rare cases and I'm not sure that it's a feature
 > rather than a bug.

Should `switch-to-buffer-other-window' then be allowed to display the
buffer in the same window?  The Elisp manual would certainly forbid such
behavior:

      The currently selected window is absolutely never used to do the
      job.  If it is the only window, then it is split to make a
      distinct window for this purpose.  If the selected window is
      already displaying the buffer, then it continues to do so, but
      another window is nonetheless found to display it in as well.

And the OTHER-WINDOW argument was invented precisely to handle
`switch-to-buffer-other-window' via `display-buffer', IIUC.

martin