Subject: bug#1806: dired-pop-to-buffer in wrong place

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 16:41:17 -0400

>> Oh, I see what you mean now.  Yes, it deserves a rename.  But that's
>> trivial to do, isn't it?

> Renaming the function is trivial.  The problem is finding meaningful
> additional "frame-parameters" like 'same-window and 'same-frame

As mentioned in some past thread, `same-frame' and `same-window'
parameters were misdesigned (by yours truly).  It should probably be
a single parameter with values `same-frame' or `same-window' instead.
Then we'd want to add the values `near-minibuffer' or `contiguous' for
the dired-pop-to-buffer behavior.  For the split-orientation, I'm not
sure if that same parameter should be used, or if a new one should be
used instead.

> and how to make them interact with `pop-up-windows' and
> `pop-up-frames'.

I don't see much difficulty here.

> I'm afraid there are few people with non-nil
> `special-display-buffer-names' already.  Making this more complicated
> won't help anyone.

I don't follow.

        Stefan