Subject: Re: bug#1806: dired-pop-to-buffer in wrong place

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 01:29:17 +0300

>> I think the problem is the lack of the necessary primitive in window.el.
>> Should it exist, any mode could use it with a simple function call
>> that creates a new window below the current one even in a wide-frame
>> configuration.  I remember Martin proposed a patch during the code freeze,
>> but currently can't find it.
>
> I'm currently rewriting the window code so this would be a good moment
> to incorporate such wishlist items here.  Though for the present case
> I'm not quite sure whether `pop-to-buffer' is the primitive you want: If
> you want the new window definitely appear below the selected one, then
> why not use `split-window' in the first place?  `pop-to-buffer' should
> be allowed to use heuristics based on user preferences.  Applications
> should not deliberatly override them.

I think some applications (where such exceptions make sense) by default
should ignore split-width-threshold and let `pop-to-buffer' to split
vertically.  And window.el should provide a simple user option to define
these exceptions that will specify how to split windows based on the
buffer names similar to `same-window-buffer-names'.  For instance,

(defcustom split-window-buffer-names
           '(("*Calendar*" . vertically)
             (" *Marked Files*" . vertically))

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/