Subject: Re: bug#1806: dired-pop-to-buffer in wrong place

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 03:22:11 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Showing *Messages* out of the blue is definitely not a feature.
> IOW It doesn't look correct to me.

It's because:

-----------
| scratch |
|         |
|         |
-----------

goes to :

------------------
| scratch | other |
|         | ------
|         | cal   |
------------------

where `other' is whatever other-buffer returns. It's not choosing
messages specially, but obviously in emacs -Q there are no other
buffers available.

Then if you show the diary, it may happen to put it in the leftmost
window, replacing scratch.

AFAIK there are no general Emacs window-handling features to do any of
this in any more sophisticated fashion.