Subject: bug#1806: dired-pop-to-buffer in wrong place

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:39:57 +0200

> We could compare `split-window-preferred-function' with its default value
 > and override it in dired only when it has the default value.

It would be more difficult to document such behavior than to implement it.

 > Otherwise we could define a new option `dired-split-window-preferred-function'.

Didn't you cite some other package that wanted such a thing?

 >> We could also provide a variable `split-window-preferred-window', nil by
 >> default, which the window choosing mechanism of `display-buffer' would
 >> respect if bound to some live window.  And we could turn this variable
 >> into an option (now or later).
 >
 > Do you mean `split-window-preferred-window' as a user-defined value
 > that replaces the `window' argument of `split-window-preferred-function'?

Yes, provided `split-window-preferred-function' then still wants such an
argument.  I'd simply check whether `split-window-preferred-window' is a
live window that can be split by `split-window-preferred-function'.  If
not, I'd proceed in the usual way.  Later on, we could allow as value of
`split-window-preferred-window' also a function that computes such a
window on-the-fly.

martin