Subject: Re: bug#1806: dired-pop-to-buffer in wrong place

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 21:19:47 -0500

>>>>> "Juri" == Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> `special-display-buffer-names' and `special-display-regexps' would be
>>> handled as usually, before checking `pop-up-windows'.  If we want, we
>>> can provide things like 'window-below or 'window-at-bottom as phony
>>> parameters as suggested earlier.
>> 
>> Actually, those phony params aren't right.  Now that you made me think
>> some more about it, they're all mutually exclusive, so we really only
>> want one such param whose value could be `same-frame', `same-window',
>> or `near-minibuffer'.  Those same values could be used for
>> pop-up-windows.

> While at this topic, could you also suggest a good parameter for the
> name of the current buffer to define where to display a new buffer.
> What I mean is that, for example, after clicking a link to the source file
> from the *Help* buffer, I want the source code (c. or .el) buffer to be
> displayed in the same window replacing the *Help* buffer.  Since the name
> of the source code buffer can be anything, the only definite parameter is
> the name of the last buffer displayed in the current window ("*Help*").

Not sure 'bout that.  Probably special-display-buffer-names is not the
bext place to use for that kind of information.

        Stefan