Subject: bug#1806: dired-pop-to-buffer in wrong place

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 23:09:16 +0200

>> There are a few exceptions where obeying non-nil `split-width-threshold'
>> is not desirable.  One exception is displaying a list of files in Dired,
>> and another is displaying the Calendar window.  Maybe there are a few
>> of others.
>
> So the only thing we have to decide is whether we want to hardcode this
> in `dired-pop-to-buffer' (and for the Calendar window and others) or
> make it optional.

I can't image a situation when someone will want to display a narrow
window on a full-height side window.  At least I think currently we should
restore the old behavior when these commands displayed a narrow window
below the original window instead of a side window.

I think a general rule of thumb for finding all such cases should be the
following: when there is a call to `fit-window-to-buffer' after calling
`pop-to-buffer' then split windows vertically because otherwise
`fit-window-to-buffer' makes no sense since it adjusts the window height
and can't do this on a full-height horizontally split window.

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/