Subject: bug#1806: dired-pop-to-buffer in wrong place

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 00:59:02 +0200

>> `special-display-buffer-names' and `special-display-regexps' would be
>> handled as usually, before checking `pop-up-windows'.  If we want, we
>> can provide things like 'window-below or 'window-at-bottom as phony
>> parameters as suggested earlier.
>
> Actually, those phony params aren't right.  Now that you made me think
> some more about it, they're all mutually exclusive, so we really only
> want one such param whose value could be `same-frame', `same-window',
> or `near-minibuffer'.  Those same values could be used for
> pop-up-windows.

While at this topic, could you also suggest a good parameter for the
name of the current buffer to define where to display a new buffer.
What I mean is that, for example, after clicking a link to the source file
from the *Help* buffer, I want the source code (c. or .el) buffer to be
displayed in the same window replacing the *Help* buffer.  Since the name
of the source code buffer can be anything, the only definite parameter is
the name of the last buffer displayed in the current window ("*Help*").

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/