Subject: bug#1806: dired-pop-to-buffer in wrong place

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 01:46:11 +0200

>>> Looking at this again, I believe what you want is to invert the order of
>>> stealing and giving as in the attached patch.  Might have side-effects
>>> elsewhere.
>>
>> Maybe a simpler solution
>
> The change of `enlarge-window' _is_ simple - only the diff appears
> complicated.  But we'd have to decide whether it's OK to steal from/give
> to the previous window when enlarging a window.  (It makes a difference
> only when we have at least three windows in a row or column.)

I've just looked at the old behavior from the December CVS state,
and noticed that it behaved more conveniently than we are currently
discussing.  It displayed a list of files immediately above the
minibuffer.  This is convenient because when the minibuffer says:

  ! on * [5 files]:

then a list of these 5 files is very near above, so there is no need
to search for this list elsewhere on the current frame.  Maybe we
should have a special function to display a buffer above the minibuffer
(e.g. `pop-to-buffer-above-minibuffer')?

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/