Subject: bug#1806: dired-pop-to-buffer in wrong place

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 00:59:17 +0200

>> This should be
>> generalized so as to be able to say "preferably in the selected-window"
>> (to provide basically the behavior of switch-to-buffer), or "preferably
>> in selected-frame", or "preferably close to the minibuffer".  The first
>> 2 are available *to the user* via the `same-window' and `same-frame'
>> attribute that they can set in special-display-buffer-names, but they
>> should also be available to the program (and overridable by the user).
>
> But none of these provide the behavior wanted by Juri.  He wants to
> split the selected window which runs counter to the `pop-up-frames'
> non-nil ideology.  So I suppose we need a "preferably splitting the
> selected window" value which can be overridden by `pop-up-frames'.

The preferred location of the window can be expressed by the new parameter
proposed by Stefan: in addition to `same-window' and `same-frame' it
could also support a parameter like `fit-below' with the meaning
of creating a new window below from the current window with calling
`fit-window-to-buffer' on it.

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/