Subject: Coreutils 8.23 test-localename failure

From: Henrik Juul Pedersen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 13:18:18 +0200

Hi I'm experiencing a test failure in coreutils 8.23

============================================================================
Testsuite summary for GNU coreutils 8.23
============================================================================
# TOTAL: 306
# PASS:  279
# SKIP:  26
# XFAIL: 0
# FAIL:  1
# XPASS: 0
# ERROR: 0
============================================================================

The failure is:

coreutils-8.23 % gnulib-tests/test-localename
test-localename.c:86: assertion 'strcmp (gl_locale_name (LC_MESSAGES,
"LC_MESSAGES"), gl_locale_name_default ()) == 0' failed

My system is:
Arch linux

% uname -a
Linux Lappy 3.15.5-2-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jul 11 07:56:02 CEST 2014
x86_64 GNU/Linux

% gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.9.0/lto-wrapper
Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Configured with: /build/gcc-multilib/src/gcc-4.9-20140604/configure
--prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-bugurl=
https://bugs.archlinux.org/
--enable-languages=c,c++,ada,fortran,go,lto,objc,obj-c++ --enable-shared
--enable-threads=posix --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit
--disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-clocale=gnu --disable-libstdcxx-pch
--disable-libssp --enable-gnu-unique-object --enable-linker-build-id
--enable-cloog-backend=isl --disable-isl-version-check
--disable-cloog-version-check --enable-lto --enable-plugin
--enable-install-libiberty --with-linker-hash-style=gnu --enable-multilib
--disable-werror --enable-checking=release
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.9.0 20140604 (prerelease) (GCC)

% localectl
   System Locale: LANG=en_DK.UTF-8
                  LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
       VC Keymap: dk-latin1
      X11 Layout: n/a

I have been unable to find any misconfiguration of my locale settings.
However it is quite possibly the case.

Coreutils was built with:
./configure && make && make check

In an attempt at some debugging, I printed the two strings failing
comparison:

gl_locale_name(LC_MESSAGES (int 5), 'LC_MESSAGES'): en_US.UTF-8
gl_locale_name_default(): C

I'll provide any other information upon request.
Thanks.

Henrik Juul Pedersen