Subject: bug#18051: 24.3.92; ls-lisp: Sorting; make ls-lisp-string-lessp a normal function?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 11:38:38 +0300

> From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 10:24:46 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Or are you just saying that you want to see the attributes of the
> > target, and _also_ the fact that the file is a symlink?
> 
> Yes, exactly.
> 
> > This just means that we should have an easy way of switching between
> > the -L view and the non-L view.  Would that solve the problem?
> 
> That would not be bad, although personally I would prefer one view
> providing all relevant information, even when that's not ls conform.

Should be possible on the Dired level.

> But even more important would be to an easy way to sort by size and
> such.

That is already available (e.g., sorting by size is triggered by the
"-S" switch).

I think that one important conclusion from this discussion is that we
need to have a way to sort files names in a way that is at least
partially compliant with UTS#10, to produce listings that are similar
to what 'ls' does on GNU systems under UTF-8 locales.  I hope someone
will step forward to write the necessary code.