Subject: bug#18051: 24.3.92; ls-lisp: Sorting; make ls-lisp-string-lessp a normal function?

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 15:18:40 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Maybe it is a misunderstanding. Tramp's native implementation is much
>> faster, because it sends exactly one remote command. For ssh-like
>> connections, this is for example
>> 
>> # echo "("; (/bin/ls --color=never -a | sed -e s/\$/\"/g -e s/^/\"/g
>> | xargs \stat -c '("%n" ("%N") %h %ue0 %ge0 %Xe0 %Ye0 %Ze0 %se0 "%A"
>> t %ie0 -1)' 2>/dev/null); echo ")" 2>/dev/null
>
> We could easily add this to ls-lisp, in case the directory is remote.
> Right now, it simply doesn't support remote directories, because I
> didn't know there was any interest in that.

No, that's not needed. Tramp does its job for different target
architectures in different ways. For example, if the stat command is not
available on the remote host, it uses another implementation with perl
for directory-files-and-attributes, and so on.

ls-lisp does not support file name handlers, and Tramp uses it only
internally in case it doesn't know better. Support for remote
directories would mean to add a file name handler for ls-lisp - is this
what you have in mind? I don't believe it is necessary.

Best regards, Michael.