Subject: Re: bug#18051: 24.3.92; ls-lisp: Sorting; make ls-lisp-string-lessp a normal function?

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 11:24:59 +0200

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> ls-lisp emulates the Unix and GNU 'ls'.  So I will generally oppose to
>> introducing any option into it that cannot be had with an external
>> 'ls' program, as long as the latter is the main method of getting a
>> Dired buffer.  (If Emacs ever decides that ls-lisp becomes the main
>> method, and will use it by default on all supported platforms, this
>> objection will no longer be valid, of course.)
>
> That's a bit what I expected, and makes sense.  I would welcome ls-lisp
> to become the default, btw.

Tramp uses ls-lisp only in case it cannot use a native method on the
remote host. Experience shows, that ls-lisp has a much worse performance
for remote directories than native implementations.

I would oppose to make ls-lisp the default, and to add functionality to
it which would not be available otherwise. Such additional functionality
must be added to file name functions with a file name handler, if
desired.

> Michael.

Best regards, Michael.