Subject: Re: bug#18051: 24.3.92; ls-lisp: Sorting; make ls-lisp-string-lessp a normal function?

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 09:33:21 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> ls-lisp emulates the Unix and GNU 'ls'.  So I will generally oppose to
> introducing any option into it that cannot be had with an external
> 'ls' program, as long as the latter is the main method of getting a
> Dired buffer.  (If Emacs ever decides that ls-lisp becomes the main
> method, and will use it by default on all supported platforms, this
> objection will no longer be valid, of course.)

That's a bit what I expected, and makes sense.  I would welcome ls-lisp
to become the default, btw.

Sorting in dired could generally be improved a lot.  If you want sorting
by size, you need to edit the switches, which is not very handy (there
are addons for that job).  I needed to define the whole
`dired-sort-toggle-or-edit' because it hardcodes -t whereby I prefer -c.

> An alternative to what you want would be a Dired-level feature, which
> then will be available also to those who don't use ls-lisp.

That would be a really good thing (if it doesn't slow down things).  But
before this is reality ... could I please get my `ls-lisp-string-lessp'
defined as a function?

Michael.