Subject: bug#18041: 24.3; Exiting emacsclient kills emacs --daemon

From: Mel Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 07:53:22 +0100

Running emacs 24.3.1 on Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon edition. I start an emacs
daemon using

$ emacs --daemon

and connect to it using

$ emacsclient -c

I open 5 shell buffers called k0 and [0123]_idl. I run bash in k0 and an
interactive IDL process in each of the ?_idl buffers. I start IDL
number-crunching processes in each of the ?_idl buffers. I then ssh -X
into the machine and run another emacsclient -c to give me access and
control to the ?_idl processes. Exiting the emacsclient using either C-x
C-c *or* C-x 5 0 kills the emacs 24.3.1 daemon.

On my Linux Mint 13 MATE machine, I can run emacsclient against the
emacs 23 daemon and exit using either C-x C-c or C-x 5 0 without killing
the emacs daemon.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7)
  of 2014-03-07 on lamiak, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:    Linux Mint 17 Qiana

Configured using:
  `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
  '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
  '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
  '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
  '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
  '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
  '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
  'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
  --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
  'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro'
  'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: nil

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<up> <up> <backspace> 4 C-x C-s C-x b <return> c d
<return> t c s h <return> s s w i d l <return> c d
, SPC ' s r c / g e n _ c u b e ' <return> C-x b <return>
C-x b <return> g e n _ c u b e <return> M-x s h e l
l <return> M-x r e n a m e SPC b SPC 2 <backspace>
<return> 2 _ i d l <return> t c s h <return> s s w
i d l <return> c d , SPC ' s r c / g e n <tab> ' <return>
C-x b g e <tab> <return> <backspace> 8 C-x C-s C-x
b <return> g e n _ c u b e <return> M-x s h e l l <return>
M-x r e n a m e SPC b SPC <return> 3 _ i d l <return>
C-x b g e n <tab> <return> <backspace> 1 2 C-x C-s
C-x b <return> t c s h <return> s s w i d l <return>
c d , SPC ' s r c / g e n _ c u b e ' <return> g e
n _ c u b e <return> C-x b 0 <tab> <return> C-x C-f
D e s k <tab> i n <tab> <return> <right> <right> <right>
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right>
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right>
<right> <right> <right> C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d
C-d C-d C-d <down> C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d
C-d C-d C-x C-s C-x k <return> M-x r e p o r t SPC
e , a <backspace> <backspace> m a c s SPC b i g <backspace>
<backspace> u g <return>

Recent messages:
Normalizing idlwave-system-routines in idle time...done
Loading and normalizing library catalogs in idle time...done
Finishing initialization in idle time...
Scanning all buffers...
Setting up indent for shell type sh
setting up indent stuff
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type sh
Saving file /home/mel/Desktop/install.sh...
Wrote /home/mel/Desktop/install.sh

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp/debian-startup hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr warnings emacsbug message format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sh-script smie executable vc-git idlwave
imenu idlwave-help idlw-help browse-url shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring color-theme cl-macs gv edmacro kmacro wid-edit cl cl-lib
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
reporter easymenu jka-compr time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)