Subject: bug#18005: 24.4.50; In Emacs manual, tell users how to enter debugger for `user-error' errors

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 17:54:24 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

    "The whole point" should be to _let_ users not be bothered entering
    the debugger for uninteresting errors.  That's reasonable behavior.
    *Enabling* that behavior is positive.  Forcing it would be
    counterproductive, as is not making clear what it is that controls it.

I agree.

    Not to mention the fact that what constitutes an "uninteresting
    error" is not something fixed once and for all for everyone.  It
    can change, depending on the context.  A user might well want to
    take a look under the covers using the debugger in some context.
    (The user who just now asked how to do it, for instance.)

I have several times wanted to enter the debugger because a
program triggered one of these errors which usually is caused by
bad user input.  So I used the feature to enable that.

There should continue to be a convenient feature to enable that.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St
Boston MA 02110
USA
www.fsf.org  www.gnu.org
Skype: No way! That's nonfree (freedom-denying) software.
  Use Ekiga or an ordinary phone call.