Subject: Re: bug#18001: default behavior changes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 22:46:22 +0300

> From: "Joel F Rodriguez" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 12:32:24 -0700
> 
> Oh well, win some lose some.
> 
> The emacs option -nw according to the docs:
> 
> -nw, --no-window-system
>                       Tell Emacs not to create a graphical frame.  If you
> use
>                       this switch when invoking Emacs from an xterm(1)
> window,
>                       display is done in that window.
> 
> Hence, the default is a graphical frame.  The text window created in a
> graphical frame is fixed width regardless of the size of the window. In
> fact, some window sizes rendered the fixed width text frame unreadable.
> 
> A text-terminal is more akin to the old console device or to the dec vt100
> display terminals. But even today's consoles, rescale the window size to
> some extent.
> 
> Running a remote ssh bears little resemblance to a text-terminal. This has
> been true for a decade or more.

When you say "run Emacs via ssh", every reasonable human being will
understand that you are running a text-mode session in the ssh shell
window.  If what you actually meant is X over ssh, you should have
said that explicitly.

In addition, running an X over ssh session, which is indeed a
graphical one, the size of the Emacs frame can be controlled either by
command-line arguments or by resizing the frame with the mouse.  You
have been told that in the initial response to your report.  For the
details, please see the Emacs manual.

(And I don't appreciate your making this a personal dispute by
consistently omitting the bug address from the CC list and writing
only to me personally.  Please stop.)