Subject: bug#18001: closed (Re: bug#18001: default behavior changes)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 18:52:03 +0000

Your bug report

#18001: default behavior changes

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
18001: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18001
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#18001: default behavior changes
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Joel F Rodriguez <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 21:51:49 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: "Joel F Rodriguez" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 11:31:22 -0700
> 
> Since when is a ssl session considered a text terminal?

Since about forever.

> My observations is somehow the behavior is different, I've been using these
> tools for what, 30 years?

Then perhaps there's a misunderstanding.

> Anyone that runs putty for a remote ssl shell knows that the display width
> is set by the width of the  window which you can make any size.

Yes, and that's exactly what we've been saying.  Which means if your
terminal emulator (PuTTY, presumably) window is wider than 80 columns,
Emacs will display a window that is wider than 80 columns.

Subject: default behavior changes
From: "Joel F Rodriguez" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 14:46:21 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

To whom it may concern,

I upgraded my OS to FreeBSD9.2-release and now my installation of emacs
seems stuck at displaying just 80 columns.

I have spent the better part of day trying to research how to change this
and why it changed to no avail. Going over hundreds of lisp files isn't
exactly how I want to spend the day when I have work to do.

On a personal note I find it archaic that when I bring up emacs in a ssh
that it comes up in 80 col mode and will not automatically resize to the
width of my window. The days of 80 col crts are long gone.

So if you could be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I would
appreciate it.

Joel