Subject: Re: bug#17978: 24.3; forward-paragraph broken with javadocs

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 09:23:22 +0100

Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

> With all due respect to the OP, the purpose of C-{ and C-} is to move
> between paragraphs, not blank lines.  Or, alternatively, in CC Mode, a
> line which contains only a comment prefix is considered to be blank.
>
> The motivation for this is to be able to move by paragraphs in large
> comments, such are frequently found at the beginning of source files.
> Sometimes, comments for individual functions are also quite sizeable.
> And of course, as already mentioned, filling should do the Right Thing
> inside comments.  If backward-paragraph (and forward-paragraph) were to
> be redefined not to handle comment prefices specially, the facility to
> move by paragraphs inside large comments (when the comment prefix is
> non-null) would be lost.
>
> I don't think we should change things here.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

Skimming this bug report, it sounds like this is working as designed, so
I'm therefore closing this bug report.  If further work should be done
here, please respond to the debbugs address and we'll reopen.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no