Subject: Re: bug#17978: 24.3; forward-paragraph broken with javadocs

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 13:23:01 +0000

Hi, Justine, Hi, Dmitry and Stefan.

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 03:48:13AM +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 07/11/2014 04:51 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> Or maybe we should save the computed value, but then kill the
> >> buffer-local value of `paragraph-start'?

> > That's probably the most straightforward solution, yes.

> Seems like it would need to be done in `c-setup-paragraph-variables' for 
> all CC Engine modes, if done at all. So the choice is probably up to its 
> maintainer.

> Alan, what do you think?

With all due respect to the OP, the purpose of C-{ and C-} is to move
between paragraphs, not blank lines.  Or, alternatively, in CC Mode, a
line which contains only a comment prefix is considered to be blank.

The motivation for this is to be able to move by paragraphs in large
comments, such are frequently found at the beginning of source files.
Sometimes, comments for individual functions are also quite sizeable.
And of course, as already mentioned, filling should do the Right Thing
inside comments.  If backward-paragraph (and forward-paragraph) were to
be redefined not to handle comment prefices specially, the facility to
move by paragraphs inside large comments (when the comment prefix is
non-null) would be lost.

I don't think we should change things here.

Maybe what we really need is commands beginning-of-comment and
end-of-comment.

As an alternative to C-{, there's always M-- C-M-e (move to the end of
the previous function) which does almost the same thing in the OP's
particular use case, and is only slightly more awkward to type.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).