Subject: bug#17971: closed (Re: bug#17971: 24.3.92; Patch to fix el compression on RHEL/CentOS 7)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 17:37:02 +0000

Your bug report

#17971: 24.3.92; Patch to fix el compression on RHEL/CentOS 7

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17971: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17971
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#17971: 24.3.92; Patch to fix el compression on RHEL/CentOS 7
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Stephen Hassard <[email-masked]>
Cc: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 10:36:16 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 07/11/2014 07:52 AM, Stephen Hassard wrote:
> I've attached the trace.

Thanks, I now see the problem; it's a readdir race, where 'find' uses 
readdir to get a batch of directory entries, then execs 'gzip' which 
removes one of them, and then 'find' later complains when it gets around 
to processing the now-removed entry.  'find' traditionally ignored that 
sort of thing; I don't know why GNU 'find' changed this (for some reason 
it's fstatatting the file twice? why?).  I still cannot reproduce the 
problem, so I expect it's OS- or filesystem-dependent.

Anyway, Glenn's patch should avoid the problem, so I installed it (with 
a few minor simplifications) as emacs-24 bzr 117370, and am marking this 
as done.  This version of the patch does not look for gzip failures; 
that can be done on the trunk later.

Subject: 24.3.92; Patch to fix el compression on RHEL/CentOS 7
From: Stephen Hassard <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 22:05:02 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi there,

The current alpha builds are failing during 'make install' while
performing the .elc compression on CentOS 7.

I've cleaned up the find command in the Makefile and have a patch that
fixes the problem while retaining function on Ubuntu/Debian. Please find
it attached.

Thanks,
Steve

In GNU Emacs 24.3.92.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2014-07-07 on gorgon
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/home/shassard/opt/emacs'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e <backspace> <backspace> e m <tab> a c s - r
e <tab> p <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
b u <help-echo> <tab> g <tab> C-g C-g <help-echo> M-x
r p e o <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> e
p o <tab> r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Wrote /home/shassard/.emacs.d/.cask/
24.3.92.2/bootstrap/package-build-20140706.955/package-build-pkg.elc
Checking /home/shassard/.emacs.d/.cask/
24.3.92.2/bootstrap/package-build-20140706.955...
Compiling /home/shassard/.emacs.d/.cask/
24.3.92.2/bootstrap/package-build-20140706.955/package-build.el...done
Wrote /home/shassard/.emacs.d/.cask/
24.3.92.2/bootstrap/package-build-20140706.955/package-build.elc
Checking /home/shassard/.emacs.d/.cask/
24.3.92.2/bootstrap/package-build-20140706.955...
Done (Total of 2 files compiled, 1 skipped)
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...
Quit [2 times]
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail help-mode cask cask-bootstrap
package-build shut-up epl git commander easy-mmode edmacro kmacro json
rx cl-macs f cl-loaddefs cl-lib dash s gv warnings compile comint
ansi-color ring autoload lisp-mnt finder-inf mm-archive message
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils network-stream starttls
url-http tls mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw
url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
eieio-core gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars
package time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 124994 39416)
 (symbols 48 25119 0)
 (miscs 40 97 226)
 (strings 32 29278 12603)
 (string-bytes 1 760605)
 (vectors 16 21219)
 (vector-slots 8 1203781 180334)
 (floats 8 80 348)
 (intervals 56 510 0)
 (buffers 960 16)
 (heap 1024 50698 1163))
From a7a91c7be696d52ad51b44a3b74d010f12cc093c Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Stephen Hassard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 21:55:27 -0700
Subject: [PATCH] Fix .el compression on CentOS7

---
 Makefile.in | 5 ++---
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Makefile.in b/Makefile.in
index 76a0304..babc8f2 100644
--- a/Makefile.in
+++ b/Makefile.in
@@ -614,9 +614,8 @@ install-arch-indep: lisp install-info install-man ${INSTALL_ARCH_INDEP_EXTRA}
 	  ${write_subdir} || true
 	[ -z "${GZIP_PROG}" ] || { \
 	  echo "Compressing *.el ..." && \
-	  cd "$(DESTDIR)${lispdir}" && \
-	  find . -name '*.elc' -exec $(SHELL) -c \
-	    '${GZIP_PROG} -9n `expr "$$1" : "\\(.*\\)c"`' dummy '{}' ';'; \
+          find "$(DESTDIR)${lispdir}" -name '*.el' \
+            -execdir ${SHELL} -c 'test -f {}c' \; -execdir ${GZIP_PROG} {} \; ; \
 	}
 	-chmod -R a+r "$(DESTDIR)${datadir}/emacs/${version}" ${COPYDESTS}
 
-- 
1.9.1