Subject: 24.3.92; Patch to fix el compression on RHEL/CentOS 7

From: Stephen Hassard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 22:05:02 -0700

Hi there,

The current alpha builds are failing during 'make install' while
performing the .elc compression on CentOS 7.

I've cleaned up the find command in the Makefile and have a patch that
fixes the problem while retaining function on Ubuntu/Debian. Please find
it attached.

Thanks,
Steve

In GNU Emacs 24.3.92.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2014-07-07 on gorgon
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/home/shassard/opt/emacs'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e <backspace> <backspace> e m <tab> a c s - r
e <tab> p <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
b u <help-echo> <tab> g <tab> C-g C-g <help-echo> M-x
r p e o <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> e
p o <tab> r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Wrote /home/shassard/.emacs.d/.cask/
24.3.92.2/bootstrap/package-build-20140706.955/package-build-pkg.elc
Checking /home/shassard/.emacs.d/.cask/
24.3.92.2/bootstrap/package-build-20140706.955...
Compiling /home/shassard/.emacs.d/.cask/
24.3.92.2/bootstrap/package-build-20140706.955/package-build.el...done
Wrote /home/shassard/.emacs.d/.cask/
24.3.92.2/bootstrap/package-build-20140706.955/package-build.elc
Checking /home/shassard/.emacs.d/.cask/
24.3.92.2/bootstrap/package-build-20140706.955...
Done (Total of 2 files compiled, 1 skipped)
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...
Quit [2 times]
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail help-mode cask cask-bootstrap
package-build shut-up epl git commander easy-mmode edmacro kmacro json
rx cl-macs f cl-loaddefs cl-lib dash s gv warnings compile comint
ansi-color ring autoload lisp-mnt finder-inf mm-archive message
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils network-stream starttls
url-http tls mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw
url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
eieio-core gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars
package time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 124994 39416)
 (symbols 48 25119 0)
 (miscs 40 97 226)
 (strings 32 29278 12603)
 (string-bytes 1 760605)
 (vectors 16 21219)
 (vector-slots 8 1203781 180334)
 (floats 8 80 348)
 (intervals 56 510 0)
 (buffers 960 16)
 (heap 1024 50698 1163))
From a7a91c7be696d52ad51b44a3b74d010f12cc093c Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Stephen Hassard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 21:55:27 -0700
Subject: [PATCH] Fix .el compression on CentOS7

---
 Makefile.in | 5 ++---
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Makefile.in b/Makefile.in
index 76a0304..babc8f2 100644
--- a/Makefile.in
+++ b/Makefile.in
@@ -614,9 +614,8 @@ install-arch-indep: lisp install-info install-man ${INSTALL_ARCH_INDEP_EXTRA}
 	  ${write_subdir} || true
 	[ -z "${GZIP_PROG}" ] || { \
 	  echo "Compressing *.el ..." && \
-	  cd "$(DESTDIR)${lispdir}" && \
-	  find . -name '*.elc' -exec $(SHELL) -c \
-	    '${GZIP_PROG} -9n `expr "$$1" : "\\(.*\\)c"`' dummy '{}' ';'; \
+          find "$(DESTDIR)${lispdir}" -name '*.el' \
+            -execdir ${SHELL} -c 'test -f {}c' \; -execdir ${GZIP_PROG} {} \; ; \
 	}
 	-chmod -R a+r "$(DESTDIR)${datadir}/emacs/${version}" ${COPYDESTS}
 
-- 
1.9.1