Subject: Re: bug#17971: 24.3.92; Patch to fix el compression on RHEL/CentOS 7

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 10:14:43 -0700

Glenn Morris wrote:

> My inclination is to revert install-arch-indep to how it used to be
> before 2014-02-13.

The patch you proposed is a simplification of the pre-2014-02-13 code, a 
simplification that should also avoid the HP-UX problm.  (HP-UX make is 
still relevant for the emacs-24 branch, I guess.)

> ! 	  cd "$(DESTDIR)${lispdir}" || exit 1 ; \
> ! 	  for f in `find . -name "*.elc" -print`; do \
> ! 	    f_el=`echo "$$f" | sed 's/.elc$$/.el/'`; \
> ! 	    ${GZIP_PROG} -9n "$$f_el" ; \
> ! 	  done ; \

This has the problem that 'make' can succeed even if a 'gzip' fails 
(e.g., due to being out of disk space).  Also, it can be simplified a 
bit.  How about something like this instead?

	  cd "$(DESTDIR)${lispdir}" && \
  	  for f in `find . -name '*.elc' -print | sed 's/.elc$$/.el/'`; do \
	    ${GZIP_PROG} -9n "$$f" || exit; \
	  done; \