Subject: Re: bug#17971: 24.3.92; Patch to fix el compression on RHEL/CentOS 7

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 12:34:59 -0400

Stephen Hassard wrote:

> For fun I built a copy of findutils-4.5.12 from alpha.gnu.org and found
> that it's suffering the same regression as CentOS's bundled find.

Thanks for investigating.
Do you understand why new find is failing?
Is it a bug in find, or ...?

After it says:

> find: './progmodes/make-mode.el': No such file or directory

does make-mode.el.gz exist (meaning it somehow got exec'd twice, which
seems like a find bug); or was find somehow in a different directory
(which also would seem like a find bug)?

Since today's RHEL is yesterday's Fedora, I'm a bit surprised this
hasn't been reported before. I looked in RH bugzilla but did not see
anything relevant.

BTW, I'm surprised to see that RHEL7 (long-term enterprise release) has
ended up with a findutils version from the 4.5 series, which looks like
a development branch. Even Debian unstable still has 4.4*.