Subject: Re: bug#17970: log-edit creates unwanted ChangeLog buffers

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 12:39:28 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> What benefit is there to vc-next-action creating empty ChangeLog buffers
>> in such cases?
>
> To let me _create_ one.

The point of this stuff is to prepopulate the vc log buffer with the
relevant ChangeLog entries. If the ChangeLog does not exist, then
obviously it is not going to find any. It does not show you the
ChangeLog buffer that it creates or in any way notify you, so I do not
see how this would help you in the scenario that you meant to write a
ChangeLog entry but forgot, which I presume is what you were referring
to. Could you give an example?

>> (Then we need an ignore-file parser.)
>
> With one file name per line, I wouldn't call it a "parser", really.

They contain wildcards, ! and ** patterns, etc.

>> Why would you have an unversioned ChangeLog
>
> I didn't say I would.  What I meant was that if ChangeLog is in the
> ignore file, that's a sign that a non-existent ChangeLog file should
> not be visited, since this repository doesn't want such files.

Why would you ignore a file that it not expected to exist in your repo?