Subject: bug#17959: eww: FTP is not supported; but with ftp_proxy, it is

From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 08:04:49 +0000

reopen 17959
thanks

>>>>> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]> writes:

 >> Package: emacs Severity: wishlist

 >> As of 36634f669f2c, eww unconditionally disallows browsing ftp:
 >> scheme URIs.  Arguably, it should only do so when no proxy setting
 >> is in effect for the URI in question.

 >> For instance, with ("ftp" . "MYPROXY:PORT") in url-proxy-services
 >> (and user-error commented out in eww.el) M-x eww shows FTP sites
 >> perfectly fine.  Consider, e. g.:

 >> M-x eww RET ftp://ladsftp.nascom.nasa.gov/

 > Is there any point in using eww for ftp?  It seems like a duplication
 > of functionality.  The Emacs ftp browser is fine, I think.

	… Except that it doesn’t support using an HTTP proxy to access
	FTP servers, either, and I’ve seen networks where it’s the only
	option.  (Due to firewall settings, NAT, etc.)

	Given that the only thing that EWW has to do to support
	ftp_proxy is to ensure the user configuration specifies an HTTP
	proxy to use for the target ftp: URI, it just seems like to
	simple a feature to omit it.

	When no HTTP proxy is specified for the URI, EWW should indeed
	somehow invoke the Emacs native FTP client instead.

	I guess the same approach may be applied to the other URI
	schemes just as well (gopher:, perhaps?)

 > So I'm closing this.

	I have no objections to classifying this as ‘wontfix’, but I’d
	rather keep this opened for the issue to remain visible to the
	community.  (FWIW, http://debbugs.gnu.org/ hides closed issues
	by default.)

-- 
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A