Subject: bug#1795: shell problem

From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 08:21:01 -0300

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

 > relson@osage writes:
 >
 >> Within an emacs bash shell, using "!!" to re-execute a command with
 >> "$( ... )" in it results in a space inserted between the dollar sign
 >> and the left paren.  The inserted space should _not_ be present.
 >
 > (I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
 > at the time.)
 >
 > I'm unable to reproduce this in any Emacs versions I have (Emacs 25.1
 > and up):

While I can't reproduce the original recipe from Bug#1795, the problem
is still there.  Look at the recipes in Bug#5007 or Bug#8027, or try
this:

M-x shell
cat <(date)
!!
Type M-p

You'll see that the command has been modified and now reads:
cat < ( date )