Subject: bug#17947: 24.3; ruby-mode sets require-final-newline unconditionally

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 05:45:18 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 19:02:05 -0400
> 
> >> > One user reported that ruby-mode triggers this warning. Sure enough, in
> >> > ruby-mode.el at line 287, I see:
> >> >   (set (make-local-variable 'require-final-newline) t)
> >> Removed in the `emacs-24' branch.
> > Regardless of what this or that mode does, I think it's wrong for
> > ethan-wspace to annoy users for having require-final-newline set
> > non-nil.
> 
> It's his package and he's free to do what he wants with it, I think.

Yes, he is.  Which is why I said "I think".  It's an opinion of an
Emacs user who has this variable customized since about forever, and
would find it annoying to be annoyed by such warnings.  User who
customized this variables clearly tell that they want to be in control
of the final newline, so packages that look at that shouldn't.