Subject: Re: bug#17947: 24.3; ruby-mode sets require-final-newline unconditionally

From: Ethan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 14:19:06 -0400

The idea behind the package is that bad whitespace is highlighted, not
automatically cleaned up. So if the file doesn't have a final newline when
it is first loaded, no final newline will be added without explicit user
action -- instead a red "eof" marker is placed where the final newline
ought to be.

require-final-newline obviously interferes with this. ethan-wspace could
therefore set it to nil when it is operating, unconditionally. However, I
added functionality to complain if require-final-newline was set -- not
because *users* set it, but because *modes* do, and I wanted to get notice
when that happened. So if you really think ruby-mode should unconditionally
set require-final-newline, it's easy to remove the warning, make it
optional, override require-final-newline on a buffer-local basis, etc.

Ethan

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > From: Ethan Glasser-Camp <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 14:07:16 -0400
> >
> > If ethan-wspace discovers that require-final-newline is set to t, it
> > admonishes the user.
>
> Why does ethan-wspace need to admonish users for setting
> require-final-newline?  Can this be avoided?
>