Subject: bug#17943: parted-3.1.90 alpha make check fails t0251-gpt-unicode on Debian 7

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 12:20:31 -0400

Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> writes:

> Phillip Susi <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On 8/3/2014 6:53 PM, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>>> parted-3.2 fails the same test when built on GNU Guix because the 
>>> "C.UTF-8" locale is not available (see below).  Changing 
>>> t0251-gpt-unicode.sh to use "en_US.UTF-8" fixes the problem.
>>
>> What?  It should not be possible to not have the C locale; it is the
>> native, untranslated locale and is the fallback locale used whenever
>> the chosen locale is missing or incomplete.
>
> Upstream GNU libc includes a "C" locale which is limited to ASCII.
> However, it does not include a "C.UTF-8" locale.  See this discussion:
>
>   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=902094
>
> GNU Guix uses upstream GNU libc, so it doesn't have "C.UTF-8" either.

More details: Debian added "C.UTF-8" to their glibc package starting
with 2.13-1, and that was picked up by Ubuntu.  However, it is not in
upstream glibc, and it appears that many other popular distros including
Fedora and Arch don't have "C.UTF-8" either.

  https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/32296

     Mark