Subject: bug#17939: closed (Re: bug#17939: Passing '-p ~/.guix-profile' to 'guix package')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 13:05:03 +0000

Your bug report

#17939: Passing '-p ~/.guix-profile' to 'guix package'

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17939: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17939
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#17939: Passing '-p ~/.guix-profile' to 'guix package'
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 15:04:33 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> When I run 'guix package -p ~/.guix-profile ...' I would expect it to
> do the same thing as without the '-p ~/.guix-profile', but it doesn't
> follow the immediate symlink, changing ~/.guix-profile to point to
> e.g. ~/.guix-profile-1-link, and creating that one as a link to
> /gnu/store/...-profile.  (Normally it only does that to
> $localstatedir/guix/profiles/per-user/$user/guix-profile.)

I believe commit 88371f0 solves it.  Fine with you?

Thanks for the report,
Ludo’.

Subject: Passing '-p ~/.guix-profile' to 'guix package'
From: Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 00:11:57 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I run 'guix package -p ~/.guix-profile ...' I would expect it to
do the same thing as without the '-p ~/.guix-profile', but it doesn't
follow the immediate symlink, changing ~/.guix-profile to point to
e.g. ~/.guix-profile-1-link, and creating that one as a link to
/gnu/store/...-profile.  (Normally it only does that to
$localstatedir/guix/profiles/per-user/$user/guix-profile.)

Perhaps my expectation is wrong because Guix doesn't "know" about the
"trick" of having a ~/.guix-profile symlink to the canonical per-user
profile symlink in $localstatedir/...

As a general solution, Guix could follow all but the last two(?)
symlinks in the symlink chain started by the -p argument.  Don't know
if that's a good solution.

Thoughts?

Taylan