Subject: Menu and tooltip glitches using GTK toolkit

From: Robert Parlett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 23:15:13 +0100

When I click on a menu - say the Options menu, then cursor down to a 
sub-menu - say "Line wrapping in this buffer" - then when the pointer 
reaches the sub-item, its menu doesn't open.  I then have to move the 
mouse slightly, and only then does the menu open. Further, tooltips in a 
menu sometimes don't appear correctly at first.   They appear clipped 
and incomplete, but a further mouse move makes them redraw correctly.

All other GTK apps work normally.

I have created a youtube video which illustrates the above :- 
http://youtu.be/Ix1vO3T84ZI

This affects version 24.3.1, installed in ubuntu 14.04, both on 32 and 
64 bit installations.  I also downloaded the source, also version 
24.3.1, and compiled that, with the same results.

A workaround is to configure with "--with-x-toolkit=athena".  This 
toolkit's menus don't suffer from the same problems, and work fine.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7)
  of 2014-03-07 on lamiak, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Configured using:
  `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
  '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
  '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
  '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'

'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
  '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
  '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
  'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
  --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
  'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro'
  'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   size-indication-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<f1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu>
<send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...
Loading debian-ispell...
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-default.el 
(source)...done
Loading debian-ispell...done
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-dicts.el 
(source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...done
Loading /home/rparlett/emacsinit/init...
Loading cl-indent...done
Loading /home/rparlett/emacsinit/init...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp/debian-startup hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/regexp-opt hides 
/home/rparlett/emacsinit/regexp-opt

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message cl-macs gv format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-edit easymenu cus-start cus-load
wid-edit warnings server apropos objecticon-setup cl cl-lib time-date
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)