Subject: bug#17926: closed (Re: bug#17926: Menu and tooltip glitches using GTK toolkit)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 16:49:03 +0000

Your bug report

#17926: Menu and tooltip glitches using GTK toolkit

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17926: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17926
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#17926: Menu and tooltip glitches using GTK toolkit
From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
To: Robert Parlett <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 18:48:23 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

2014-07-04 18:49, Robert Parlett skrev:
> Well I tried this on another machine with the Unity desktop, using a new user
> account.  The result is that I can still see the menu problem, but not the
> tooltip problem.  In fact the tooltips look quite different on Unity, and are
> using transparency effects, so perhaps that is why. Another slight difference
> - if I leave the pointer stationary over the menu item, then after 3 or 4
> seconds the sub-menu finally appears - with fvwm/no window manager this does
> not happen, and the menu remains absent until the mouse is moved.
>
> Anyway, here is another video to show the menu problem under Unity :-
> http://youtu.be/e1s2RXsqJo0

I can't reproduce this on the 24 branch or on trunk, even tried with fvwm.  So 
whatever it was, it is gone now.

	Jan D.

Subject: Menu and tooltip glitches using GTK toolkit
From: Robert Parlett <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 23:15:13 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I click on a menu - say the Options menu, then cursor down to a 
sub-menu - say "Line wrapping in this buffer" - then when the pointer 
reaches the sub-item, its menu doesn't open.  I then have to move the 
mouse slightly, and only then does the menu open. Further, tooltips in a 
menu sometimes don't appear correctly at first.   They appear clipped 
and incomplete, but a further mouse move makes them redraw correctly.

All other GTK apps work normally.

I have created a youtube video which illustrates the above :- 
http://youtu.be/Ix1vO3T84ZI

This affects version 24.3.1, installed in ubuntu 14.04, both on 32 and 
64 bit installations.  I also downloaded the source, also version 
24.3.1, and compiled that, with the same results.

A workaround is to configure with "--with-x-toolkit=athena".  This 
toolkit's menus don't suffer from the same problems, and work fine.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7)
  of 2014-03-07 on lamiak, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Configured using:
  `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
  '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
  '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
  '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'

'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
  '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
  '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
  'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
  --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
  'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro'
  'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   size-indication-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<f1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu>
<send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...
Loading debian-ispell...
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-default.el 
(source)...done
Loading debian-ispell...done
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-dicts.el 
(source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...done
Loading /home/rparlett/emacsinit/init...
Loading cl-indent...done
Loading /home/rparlett/emacsinit/init...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp/debian-startup hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/regexp-opt hides 
/home/rparlett/emacsinit/regexp-opt

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message cl-macs gv format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-edit easymenu cus-start cus-load
wid-edit warnings server apropos objecticon-setup cl cl-lib time-date
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)